Monday, July 18, 2011

Kohlrabi


I have to admit - I like to grow this veggie for it's looks. I know, I know, in our society things of beauty are generally favored and I really should not encourage such discrimination. But I just can't help myself! And, honestly, I like the taste and texture, too!

I adapted the following recipe from a book - of sorts - that some dear friends gave me when I left Philly, and architecture, for the country. "The Vegetable Box" is a fun box filled with small books each containing recipes for all kinds of veggies. This would go well with some short grain, sweet brown rice.


Kohlrabi With Coconut (Adapted from Cabbage With Coconut)

2 Kolrabi
3 Tbl grated coconut
2 Tbl oil (I use coconut oil to sautee everything!)
1-2 Tbl mixed spices: garam masala, curry powder, Chinese 5-herb powder, ras el hanout, etc.
4-5 Tbl coconut milk
Salt

Peel leaves from kohlrabi (these are edible, you might wish to chop them and add them to the meal, or save them, they are just like kale!)
Cut kohlrabi into thin sticks (1/4" thick or so)
Heat a large skillet or wok and toast coconut, shaking the pan
    once coconut starts to brown, remove from heat, transfer to dish
In (now empty) large pan, heat oil
Add kohlrabi and spices, stir over high heat for 2 minutes
Add coconut milk + stir for 1 minute more
Salt to taste
Sprinkle with toasted coconut and serve

2 comments:

  1. I love this garden blog in all ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kohlrabi was my favorite new discovery when we started our CSA

    ReplyDelete