Tuesday, March 6, 2012

yikes!

I don’t think I can come up with a good excuse as to why my last post was 15 weeks ago! (though, after proof-reading this, I think the excuse is here somewhere)
Seeing as how it is now the first week of March and I am back in the saddle of early spring greenhouse work, it is time to start ‘er up again.

Here is a *brief* recap of the past few months - with photos!

The winter has been a busy one. I seeded the high tunnel way back in November with greens and such. By mid December, I had food growing in earnest and was able to harvest well into January until sub-zero temps put all growing to a halt. These photos were taken December 15th:
The low temps, however, did not kill the plants... So, just about 3 weeks ago, everything thawed out and started to perk back up. Longer days and somewhat higher temps have made the high tunnel green again. This week brings a big harvest for the Thursday lunch crowd at the school and there will be a cooking class here on March 17 that will also be using our high tunnel greens. I am currently getting in there to seed for the spring - peas please... These photos were taken March 5th!
What else... the main things keeping me busy these past few months have been kids, travel, and fish.

I stumbled into childcare around Thanksgiving and have been pretty steady ever since. Having not babysat since I was in 
high school, I was a little surprised how quickly I adjusted to a different pace of life. Caring for 4 different kids (not all at the same time - oiy!) all under the age of 6 has definitely given me a lot of perspective! Of course, being a farmer and a foodie... much of what we do together is EAT! (yes that is macaroni on pizza  - both of which are gluten free!)
Pat is settling well into Vermont life.
Back in November, Dan came up to hep with the settle (read: pick out Victorian furniture?!) Dan and I also took a spin around Lake Bomoseen in a pair of kayaks!
We are once again doing a back-and-forth style of dating. That doesn’t stop us from packing up and heading out on adventures together, though! Christmas + New Years took us to the Mid-Atlantic to see family and friends.
 
And February took us on a whirlwind trip out to LA - via Amtrak from Boston to DC (not on purpose!) then a flight to LA. 30+ hours of travel for <30 hours of California time. WORTH IT!
Go fish... in December I took on a fish ‘business’ from a friend of mine. I wouldn’t quite call myself a monger - okay, I might call myself a monger form time to time, but I don’t think I actually qualify! I sold some fish at a winter market in December. I had to rely on YouTube to teach me how to cut HUGE slabs of swordfish and Tuna into steaks, but it worked! And in January started up a fish “CSA”. Or is it CSF?! Either way I am now doing 6-week rounds of weekly fish shares for $60. That’s $10 per week and it is as fresh as fresh can be. Right out of Portland, ME; I only choose local, wild-caught fish; it is awesome. I have been enjoying a weekly catch and have been providing such to over 30 families! We’ve gotten everything form Haddock to Pollock, shrimp to clams!
Phew! That mostly sums it up. From here on out I'll be getting back into regular posting. Stay tuned!

1 comment: